Monday 17 October 2011

Three Too Fast Runs

I've not been keeping this up to date... things get in the way like holidays in Paris (currently my favourite city on earth... after Dulnain Bridge), DIY shelving (or personalised sculptures in blood and sawdust) and teaching music. The first of this bad bunch was an after work loop up to Hogganfield loch. The GPS on my phone has been playing up so it's impossible to prove that the first three kilometres were done at a completely unsustainable pace. I think we managed to scrape a fairly mediocre 8.32 minutes per mile over the 5.7 miles. It's strange to think that while we were running we thought we were running the fastest 10k of our lives!
Fast Run 6th Oct

Fast Run 6th Oct

This is another example of starting well. Running with Richard I have grown used to the sight of the back of his head as he disappears into the distance. I managed to keep up with him for just over 5k. Better than my last attempt which was 2k downhill with the wind at my back... so there is at least some improvement. I was glad of his general shouting and cajoling over the last few kilometres. I would probably have given up near the arch in Glasgow green if he hadn't started complaining we were loosing precious seconds off our lap time. There's nothing like a running partner who throws down the gauntlet to get another few miles out of those idolent pins.
Saturday Afternoon

Saturday Afternoon

I always like to learn the hard way. I'm up in Grantown on Spey teaching at the 21st Feis Spe. You're only as old as you feel. I didn't feel old untill I realised that I was a student at the first Feis Spe and that my Uncle aged somewhere past 55 just kicked my sorry ass at a 10k. I'm not sure he even broke sweat. I however am in pain. A long series of yoga stretches in front of the fire followed by a hot bath have had little effect on my aching limbs. I'm sure it's not right to be seeing spots but after we sprinted up a particularly bad hill in the Angach woods I was seeing more spot than path. On the way down I'm sure one of my lungs shook loose and I have a vague idea that I might have sweated out my kidneys. We're going for another on Wednesday. I fear that a night of songs and tunes in The Craig bar tomorrow might put pay to that plan. Mind you if he can run like that in his fifties I've got twenty years of training to get better... and surely he'll start to slow down sometime soon... surely?
Run With Uncle Iain

Run With Uncle Iain

No comments:

Post a Comment