Saturday 22 January 2011

Celtic Connections 2011: Day 8 (20/1/11)

Even this fictional character salutes you.
Last night I faced the lions alone. The arena was full of punters but no musicians. There is only so much time one can play about on Facebook and Twitter trying to look busy before the audience start getting twitchy. I've been relying heavily on the kindness of local musicians to come along and play and I think their contributions on Monday and Tuesday night were above and beyond the call of duty. Folk musicians of Glasgow I salute you.

The session was rescued from disaster by The Dirty Beggars. (when I say disaster I mean me sitting on my own like a rabbit in the headlights struggling to entertain for two and a half hours) Asked where they came from in America they replied. Peebles. Best description I can give is that they're a Scottish version of the Old Crow Medicine Show.


Aaaaand relax.
I've been on Magic Seaweed every twenty minutes or so. It's a kind of self torture. Luckily the forecast is reasonably pish for the next few days. I'm not missing too much and right now I'd settle for a float about my board on a flat day.

So tonight we have:
Me
Lurach
The Campbells
The Tannahill Weavers
Ali White, Arno Capellino and Rolond Conc
Joy Dunlop
Tommy and Shauna O Sullivan
Rura

My grill smells like this
Luckily one of my gigs got cancelled today so I've only had to do one workshop and two gigs. When I get home tonight I have a bit of housework to do. Sawing a chunk off the worktop to fit our new cooker. Christ alone knows what the neighbours will think with the sound of me sawing away at 3am. I can't wait for the new cooker to be connected. Four working rings, a grill that doesn't smell like the great Springfield tyre fire and an oven that doesn't have that charcoal block thing that I think was once a pizza...or a baked tattie. It moves about. If you leave the oven on for longer than 45 minutes you can hear it trying to get out, banging on the sides. I'm looking forward never to seeing it again.
The thing that lives in my cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment